Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tilapia Tacos with Lime Slaw

Hello blogger friends!  It's Wednesday, which means Friday is right around the corner for those of you who can't wait! I hear ya!  It will be here before you know it! :) 

WARNING!!! This post contains FAT, the stuff that is bad for us...but so good sometimes! We all can handle a little bit right??  If not, then my blog isn't for you ;)  I try to cook healthy for the most part, but I can't always do that completely... These pictures I will show you are greasy and shiny, but oh so good. :) Hope you guys stick around to see my dinner from last night!
Tilapia Tacos with Lime Slaw
This would be my husband's first taco, with his hand in the back ground.  I paid him for his time...joking!
Wowee doesn't that look delish! 


This was my first time ever making fish tacos, can you believe it? I told you I am learning to try new things! I searched around the blog world, and noticed many fish tacos with a few of the same ingredients, so I just busted out my fish, and away I went! These were really really good.  My husband loved them too. Let's get started with the slaw.  MmmMmm. I did could;) eat a few spoon fulls of this right out of the bowl. 
Lime Slaw
Ingredients:(makes enough for about 6-8 tacos)
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage(I used the pre shredded bags of coleslaw, that contain red cabbage, and carrots also) It's good, and easy. :)
  • 1/3 cup green onion, diced
  • 2 tbls lime juice
  • 1 tbls olive oil
  •  1/4 tsp salt


Add all the ingredients together, wasn't that simple.
Mix it up.  Go ahead and take a few bites.  It's delicious.  It is tangy, oniony(just made that word up:)) and salty, mmMmm!
Set it to the side and cook up your fish.
Tilapia Tacos
Ingredients:(makes about 7-8 tacos depending on your fillet of fish)
  • 4 Tilapia fillets.  I used the frozen individually packaged Tillapia.  They are really small fillets, so it depends on what size of fillet you use.
  • 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp salt, and pepper
  • olive oil for frying
  • corn tortillas
  • butter for frying tortillas

First add the crumbs, onion powder, chili powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper to a plate or shallow dish. Mix together.
Add just a splash of olive oil to a frying pan, turn on to medium heat.  Let oil heat up just a tiny bit. Whisk egg in a separate bowl.  Dip fish fillet in egg, then into crumbs.  Coat well.  Add fish to frying pan, and let them cook. They will fry up nice and golden brown. They are done when they flake easily.


After the fish is done, work on the tortillas.  This is my Mom's awesome way of cooking corn tortillas for tacos.  They are amazing.  Thanks for the yummy taco shells Mom!
In a different frying pan, on medium high heat, add in a little butter, and take one corn tortilla and place it on the butter. Make sure both sides get coated.

When the corn tortillas get a tiny bit brown, and the edges start to curl, they are done.  Be careful not to let them sit to long before filling them, they make crack.
In between cooking the tortillas, shred the fish into bite size pieces.

Spoon some fish into the taco, and top with the lime slaw.  Now chow down! MmmMmm we LOVED these, and will be SURE to make them again! My husband said over and over "YUM"

Seriously you all have to try these!! Please let me know if you do!

Question of the Day:

What are your favorite Taco toppings??

If I am making these Tilapia tacos, I will definitely top them with the Lime Slaw again.  It was totally awesome.  If I make beef/turkey tacos, I like sour cream, onion, olives, and cheese.  Sometimes I put lettuce on my tacos, but most of the time I go without.  MmmMmm I will have to make those tacos soon too!

Hope you all have a great evening, relax, and enjoy some yummy food! Talk to you all tomorrow!

1 comments:

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!