Monday, November 21, 2011

Homemade Dog Biscuits

It is SO true when you hear "A dog is man's best friend."  Well besides my Husband being my true best friend. :)  My dog Zoei, is my baby, and I mean BABY.  She is as much of a best friend as I could possibly have.  She is always there, no matter what, wagging her tail, and "smiling."  She really does smile.  She shows her teeth by lifting her lips, and pulling them back.  It is so stinkin cute.  I will try to catch her smiling on camera, but she is usually wiggling too much out of excitement.  She LOVES treats, and is rewarded with one when she goes outside and does her business.  I have been wanting to make homemade dog treats for quite awhile now, but haven't been able to find a dog bone cookie cutter until recently I found a set of two at a Petco Pet Supply Store for a dollar! Score!  I immediately went home and made these treats, and the end result??? A VERY happy Zoei!  She absolutely LOVES these treats!  If you have a fury four legged best friend, I am sure he/she would enjoy these treats as much as Zoei does! 
Homemade Dog Biscuits
I had to throw in a few of her favorite toys :)


Prep Time:  about 20 minutes total, including rolling the dough out
Cook Time: about 10 minutes
Bake Time:  20 minutes per batch
Servings:  Totally depends on the size of the treat you want, but this recipe makes at least 5 dozen small treats as a reference


Homemade Dog Biscuits
Ingredients:
  • 2 cubes Beef Bouillon(or chicken)
  • 2 cups Water
  • 1/4 cup Honey
  • 1 cup Peanut Butter(creamy)
  • 2 Tbls Olive Oil
  • 1 Egg White
  • 1 cup Rolled Oats
  • 2 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2 cups All-Purpose Flour


In a medium sauce pan, combine bouillon cubes, and water.  Bring to a boil.  Make sure all the bouillon is dissolved.

Remove from heat, and stir in the honey, peanut butter, and olive oil.  Whisk until completely mixed in, with no lumps.  Allow mixture to cool completely.


In the meantime, in a large mixing bowl combine the rolled oats, whole wheat flour, and all-purpose flour.  Set aside.


When peanut butter mixture has cooled completely add in egg white, and whisk until well incorporated.
Transfer peanut butter mixture into a large mixing bowl, and gradually add flour mixture in a little at a time.  I used my hand mixer until it was too thick, then I got my hands in there and mixed it the rest of the way.




Sprinkle a large flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough to about a 1/4" thickness.



Use your cookie cutter, and fit as many as you can over the whole sheet of dough.




I used two different sized cookie cutters.


 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Use a spatula to scrape under each treat, and transfer it to a non stick cookie sheet.
I used a fork to make little markings in the middle of eat treat.  Totally up to you, it's fun and cute.



Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. 
After you get the first batch in the oven, scrape up the leftover pieces of dough, and roll it out again to a 1/4" thickness, and use the cookie cutter again.  Repeat until you have no dough left.

 Remove to a wire rack to cool.  Completely cool before you store, and you want to store these treats in a air tight container so they don't spoil.  Also, this makes quite a few treats, so they are perfect to freeze!


I hope all your doggies enjoy!!  Spoil them...even more :)


I got this recipe from a friend Nicole's Blog.  She shares her delicious recipes over at
and you can find the original recipe for these Homemade Dog Biscuits on her site, here.  Check it out, her pictures are cute!

Question of the Day:

Do you have any four legged friends at home?? And if so, what are there names??

My husband and I also have a Calico Cat, and her name is KiKi, yea I know, she did have a different name, but don't we usually just call them Kitty??? :)

Oh, I had some MAJOR picture uploading issues today, that would explain me posting so late.  Finally got it done! Whew! :) Talk to you tomorrow! 

4 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!!! Your pictures look great as well :) Hope Zoei loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made these for my puppies, they love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your puppies love them! :) It's nice to make special treats for our fury friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, thank you! My pup definitely thinks they're tasty :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!