Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Homemade Pizza from Scratch

I am a total pizza lover at heart.  No joke.  I have a pizza craving at least once a week.  I don't allow myself to eat it that often, but I definitely give into the cravings here and there.  Why not?!  Everything in moderation is what I tell myself. :)  I have recently fallen in love with semi homemade pizzas at home made with the store bought Boboli...most of you know, and have tried these right?  They are SO simple, and such a quick meal.  I also LOVE the sauce that comes with them!  It has a sweetness to it that I love.  I am usually not a marinara lover, it always seems too intense flavored for me.  I like a lighter sauce.  I will choose a white garlic sauce for my pizza any day over marinara. 
I finally explored the world of true homemade pizza, and not to my surprise, I fell in love with it.  Go figure right?!  If I have a little more time on my hands when the "pizza craving" strikes, there is NO DOUBT I will make my own homemade pizza/dough.  Amazing.  If you haven't made a pizza totally from scratch, you are missing out, and I can't believe I went so long without making one.  Geez.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make your own, you will be changed forever :)  I'll show you how I made it!

Homemade Pizza from Scratch
WOW! YUMMO!

Prep Time:  about 20 minutes
Stand/Rise Time:  15 minutes stand/ 1 1/2-2 hours Rise Time
Servings: makes 2 medium pizzas.  1 pizza serves 4(2 slices each)
Difficulty:  Medium

Home made Pizza from Scratch
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Warm Water (about 110°)
  • 1 Envelope (2 1/4 tsp.) Instant Yeast
  • 1 1/4 cups Water, at room temperature
  • 2 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 4 cups Bread Flour, plus more for dusting(I used 3 cups bread flour, and 1 cup all-purpose, I ran out of bread flour)
  • 1 1/2 tsp Salt
  • olive oil  for greasing the bowl
  • sprinkle of Corn Meal (if making pizza dough now, rather then freezing it)

Measure the warm water into a 2 cup liquid measuring cup.  Add the yeast, and let stand and dissolve for 5 minutes.  Add in room temperature water, and olive oil.


The original recipe I followed was done with a stand mixer, but I did mine by hand, you can do either.
In a large bowl combine flour, and salt.  Slowly add in the wet ingredients.  Stir together until a ball forms. 



Sprinkle a flat surface with flour, and knead dough until smooth and elastic.  I had to add quite a bit of flour to make it less sticky.  I'm not sure if it is because I didn't use a stand mixer, or because I didn't use all bread flour.  This recipe is still worth it though!


Grease a large bowl with olive oil, place dough in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let sit and rise for
1 1/2 to 2 hours.



Punch dough down, and turn out onto a floured surface, and divide into 2 equal pieces.  I had to add more flour here, and knead just a little more.  Cover with a damp towel, and let rest for 10 minutes.  You can freeze the dough at this point if you would like.  Wrap it with plastic wrap, and place it in a freezer bag.  I made one pizza and froze the other dough.
If you are making a pizza now, I'll show you how I made mine!  Here are the toppings I added this time.
  • 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
  • 3 Tbls Olive Oil
  • 1/4 tsp dried Pizza Seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp dried Italian Seasoning
  • 1/2-3/4 cup Mexican Cheese Blend, shredded
  • Turkey Pepperoni, as many as you want to chow!
  • 1/2 of a small Yellow Squash, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 of a small Zucchini, thinly sliced
  • Yellow Onion, thinly sliced, then torn in half(just a couple full onion slices will do)
  • Black Olives, sliced

I read the best way to make home made pizza dough is with a pizza stone, and I happen to have one!  It seriously turned out amazing too!  You have to preheat the oven to 500 degrees, and heat up the pizza stone for about half hour. 
In the meantime in a small dish add the garlic, and spices.  Use a fork to crush the spices, and let sit while you get the pizza dough ready.



Sprinkle a piece of parchment paper with corn meal and shape the dough on the parchment paper to a medium round crust.  Make sure your dough is not larger than your pizza stone. 


Drizzle the garlic oil sauce on the dough, and spread evenly.




Sprinkle a thin layer of cheese.



Layer on the Turkey Pepperoni(or regular pepperoni) Next time I'll add more than this too!



Layer on the Zucchini


then the squash


the onion


the olives


add the rest of the cheese.  Place on your pizza stone, and bake at 400 degrees until crust is lightly brown, and cheese has browned on the top.  Takes 8-20 minutes. 





OH Delish!  Enjoy! Please try a home made pizza from scratch!  You will love it!

I found this recipe on Annie's Eats She has a great site, love her recipes!

Question of the Day:
What are some of your favorite pizza toppings??


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!