Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Spaghetti Pie

My Husband loves Spaghetti.  I think he loves it more the day after, which I agree on that one.  Something about it just tastes better the next day.  All the flavors mend together overnight.  I always put the noodles and sauce together when I put it in the fridge, so the noodles soak up all that good flavor.  We will never get sick of my spaghetti, but I wanted to try something different, and it sure impressed us!  This Spaghetti Pie, is AMAZING.  It has a totally different flavor then my traditional spaghetti, but awesome.  The main reason it tastes different is because it has green bell pepper in it, and chili pepper seasoning.  It definitely has a "pepper" taste, which really works well in this dish.  We absolutely love it, and I will definitely add it to our rood rotation.  It was very simple, and I can't wait to try the leftovers too!!
Spaghetti Pie
I loved the texture of the baked spaghetti noodles



Prep Time:  10 minutes
Cook Time:  about 15 minutes
Bake Time:  35-45 minutes
Stand:  5 minutes
Servings:  6

Spaghetti Pie
Ingredients:
  • 4 oz uncooked Spaghetti Noodles(I used Whole Wheat)
  • 1/2 lb Ground Turkey(or lean ground beef)
  • 1/2 medium Green Bell Pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 small Onion, chopped
  • 1 (14 oz.) jar, Tomato Pasta Sauce(any kind you choose)(I used a Garlic Herb)
  • 1 tsp Chili Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1/2 cup Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup Mozzarella, shredded

Spray 9.5inch-10inch glass pie plate with cooking spray.
Cook noodles according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
Meanwhile in a large saucepan cook ground turkey, bell pepper, and onion.  Stir occasionally, and cook until meat has browned. 


Drain if there is a lot of water/fat.  I didn't drain mine because ground turkey doesn't produce much liquid when cooked.
Stir in pasta sauce, chili powder, salt, and pepper.  Cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened.


Place spaghetti noodles in pie plate.  Press down, and try to get the noodles up the sides a little bit. 


In a small bowl combine ricotta cheese, eggs, and parmesan cheese.  Stir together.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees


Spread evenly over spaghetti noodles


Spoon turkey mixture over the cheese and egg mixture


Spread the mozzarella cheese over the turkey mixture.


Bake 35 to 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly in the center.  You want the center to be set.  Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.





So delicious!!
Enjoy! Please make this! :)

I found the idea to this recipe in a Betty Crocker cook book called the Heart Health Edition.  I changed the recipe quite a bit though.  One of the main changes I did was that it called for cottage cheese, but instead I used ricotta and parmesan, and I loved the way it turned out.  You choice!

Question of the Day:

How many of you are ready for Thanksgiving tomorrow?!

I have to do prep work today, and later tonight, then cook my butt off tomorrow.  Can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!