Monday, November 7, 2011

Grandma's String Bean Casserole

Most of us have Grandma's that are, or were the best cooks around right? They put a special touch on everything they make, and it turns out great.  Even if we attempt the same recipe, it doesn't seem to turn out quite as good right? Just because it didn't have Grandma's touch. :)  I swear everything my Grandma made was delicious, and my whole family loved it.  My Mom has been making my Grandma's String Bean Casserole for a very long time now, and it is a huge hit every time.  My Dad requests it quite frequently.  I have made her dish twice now, and will continue to make it many more times because my Husband is in love with it.  It is SO simple and requires few ingredients.  This is a very special recipe to us, and at first my Husband didn't want me to share it with all of you.  He said "we should keep it a secret." :)  I know Grandma would be proud though, and be happy that we are sharing it.  Thank you for the recipe Grandma.  We miss you and your cooking. :)
Please let me know if any of you make this, and I hope your family loves it just as much as we do.
Grandma's String Bean Casserole
This warms my tummy just looking at it.


Prep Time: Total about 25 minutes
Cook Time:  20-25 minutes
Bake Time: 30-35 minutes
Servings:  Makes a 9"x13" pan, and enough servings for at least 9 people
Difficulty: Easy

Grandma's String Bean Casserole
Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs Lean Ground Beef (I always buy the 7% fat)
  • 2 (14.5oz) cans French Style Green Beans (the thinly sliced green beans)
  • 2 (10.5 oz) cans Condensed Tomato Soup
  • 1/2 a Large Onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp Seasoned Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
  • 6 Medium Russet Potatoes, peeled, and quartered(or even smaller for a shorter cooking time)
  • 1 Large Egg
  • 3 Tbls Butter
  • 1/4 cup Milk
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups(or so) Medium Cheddar Cheese, grated(I used a Mexican Blend this time)

Start a large pot of water on the stove.  Peel and quarter the potatoes.  Throw the potatoes into the pot of water, and bring to a boil.  Poke the potatoes with a fork, and when they easily fall off the fork they are done.  Drain the water.


While the potatoes are cooking, brown the ground beef.  Three quarters the way through cooking, add in the chopped onion.  Cook until ground beef is fully cooked.


In a 9"x13" baking dish, add in both cans of green beans(not drained), and both cans of tomato soup(you can use the liquid from the green beans to clean out the tomato soup cans.  Slowly stir together until combined.


Sprinkle in the seasoned salt, and pepper.


Mash the potatoes, and add in the egg, milk, butter, salt, and pepper.  Mash until most clumps are gone, but you don't want it super creamy.



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
Slowly add the ground beef mixture in with the green beans and tomato soup.



Stir it all together.


Next scoop the potatoes onto the mixture.  Three potato piles by six.  Should look like this. 


Sprinkle the cheese on top of each potato mound.


Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.  The cheese should be turning light brown, and it should be nice and bubbly. Enjoy!




Question of the Day:

A random one today...When you are making something that needs to go in the oven, do you preheat your oven way in advance, like right when you start the recipe like most recipes say to do?  Or do you wait until you are getting close to putting the food in the oven, and give it just enough time to come to temp?

I definitely wait to preheat my oven.  Maybe to save electricity?? I don't know, I just don't see a point to heat it up so early when I still have awhile until the food is ready to go in there.  Weird question I know, but that is how I roll sometimes. :)

Oh and on a different note, I want to do a SHOUT OUT to my FOLLOWERS!!  Thank you SO much for following my blog! I really do appreciate it.  That shows that you are enjoying my blog, and that makes me happy. :)  Don't be afraid to leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!  Thank you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!