Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Crockpot Chili

Crock pot season is just about here!  I secretly admire my crock pot. :)  I love how you cook dinner in the morning...is that weird?? Well I should say you do all the prepping in the morning, and your crock pot does all the rest.  It really is an amazing thing throwing everything together, and ending up with a delicious dinner at the end of the day.  Oh, and the smell while it is working it's magic throughout the day is divine.  MmmMmm.  My crock pot has yet to fail me with a delicious dinner, which is pretty darn amazing since I throw almost anything in there together.  Get ready to see more crock pot dishes coming up! 
I have made this chili for quite some time now, and have shared it with family and friends, and they all love it.  It is one of my favorite crock pot meals, and because of that, I am sharing it with you today!  This is my homemade chili, but I do have to admit I take all the shortcuts possible. :)  I used canned beans...gasp! I know, I know, but just try it, and you will love how simple it is, and delicious!
Crock pot Chili



Ingredients:(serves a TON) :) I really haven't measured for servings, but I will tell you that my hubby and I eat on it a few times, and freeze a few more servings, so it makes A LOT.
  • 2 lbs lean ground beef
  • 1 whole medium onion, chopped
  • 1 whole medium green bell pepper(I also used about 1/4 of a red bell pepper because I had it on hand.  I usually use both green and red peppers.  You can use any color you would like.)
  • 2 (15oz or 15.25oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 (15oz or 15.25oz) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes Italian style(I use whatever canned tomatoes they have at the store that have some sort of seasonings or other things like green chilies, garlic and onion, green pepper...anything will work)
  • 1 (14.5oz) can tomato sauce
  • 2 packets McCormick chili seasoning
  • grated cheese for garnish(optional)

First brown the ground beef in a pan.
Meanwhile, chop up the onion, and pepper.

Add the onion, and pepper to the crock pot.  I should mention you need a big crock pot for this chili.  If you have a smaller one, you can halve the recipe easily.

Add the ground beef to the crock pot.

Drain and rinse all the beans, and let sit until the last step.

Add the canned diced tomatoes to the crock pot.

Add the tomato sauce.

then the beans.

I use this chili seasoning.  I have used the store brand before and haven't liked it as much.  Use what you prefer.  Add in the chili seasoning.

Stir, and let sit on low for about 5 hours.  I have never let this sit a whole work day before, because of the canned beans, but I don't think it would really hurt it, as it wont be stirred until you get home.  I may have to try that to see how it turns out.  I probably would make this on a day when you will be home, or wont be away for too long.  It really is worth it. :)

Enjoy! I have already eaten this on nachos too...YUM!! You could have it on a baked potato too...too many ideas! 

Question of the Day:


What is one of your favorite meals to make in your crock pot? PLEASE share!!!
Have a great night everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!