Let's get on to our masterpiece we had for lunch today! We were brainstorming on ideas for lunch, and the old fashioned grilled cheese, and tomato soup combo sounded delicious, but we were craving a twist on the classic. A new twist we achieved! Introducing....
Fajita Turkey Melt
Oh my goodness this was so good! We both loved this sandwich! It is filled with flavor! This is my new favorite go to grilled cheese sandwich.
Ingredients:(makes 2-4 servings) either 2 big whole sandwiches, or 4 halves.
- 4 slices of bread. You can use whatever bread you like, and I think any bread would be delicious. We used this kind...
and it was good! I fell in love with this bread.
- Pepper Jack cheese, sliced 1/8th inch thick. Enough to cover two slices of bread, about 4 slices each.
- 1/4 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1/4 green bell pepper, sliced thinly
- Onion, three whole thin slices
- butter and oil to coat pan for frying
- dash or two of fajita seasoning(I used store bought individual package)
- butter to spread thinly on bread
- 6 slices turkey breast lunch meat
First slice the red and green bell peppers. Add little dollop of butter, and oil to frying pan. Toss in bell peppers, and cook on medium heat.
Slice up the onion, and add to the frying pan.
Cook peppers and onion until almost softened. Add in a dash or two of fajita seasoning, stir, and remove from pan. Butter one side of each slice of bread.
Slice cheese. Lay bread, butter side down in frying pan, top with cheese, half of pepper and onion mixture, then 3 slices of turkey lunch meat.
We got ahead of ourselves and ALMOST for got the turkey, and didn't get a picture of it. Don't be like us. :)
Top with bread slice, and cook until cheese is melted, and bread is browned on both sides. Mine took about 7-10 minutes. Serve on a plate, cut in half to watch all that yummy cheese ooze out. Eat up, and enjoy! I say 2-4 servings because these sandwiches are big and hearty, and I only ate half of mine, when my husband finished his. I served up our sandwiches with my "Canned Tomato Soup Dressed Up" that I will share with you tomorrow! EASY and GOOD!
Question of the Day:
Do you enjoy the old fashioned grilled cheese, or do you add a little twist??
What is better than melted cheese??? Nothing! :) I LOVE me some cheese!
Have a wonderful evening everyone!! I'm glad to be back, again...but I'll grab my apron and stay awhile :)