Friday, September 16, 2011

Fajita Turkey Melt

Hello blog readers!  I have been missing in action...My husband and I finally made it back home!  The last two days were filled with emptying out the RV and moving it to a storage unit.  It is so much work, we were working on it from 7:00AM yesterday until about 3:30PM, then we had to drive another three hours home! Whew, sorry, I know it is NO excuse to be absent from blogging. ;)  I hope I am here to stay and blog up a storm for quite awhile! Life may get in the way here and there, but we will all be alright. :)  I am so excited to be cooking again in our house, and excited that my sous chef(aka hubby) will be here to cook with me.  He is a chopping, dicing, slicing, grating machine! Have I mentioned that I really dislike grating cheese??? Well, I do, but my husband doesn't mind it.:) Perfect match if I do say so! When I first asked my husband to help in the kitchen, I think the only reason he jumped up to help, was so he would be eating that much sooner.  After he helped a few times, he decided that WE HE needed a nice new knife.  Now that we have a few new knifes, he sort of thinks he is a pro. :) That's alright with me, if I can get help in the kitchen!
 Let's get on to our masterpiece we had for lunch today! We were brainstorming on ideas for lunch, and the old fashioned grilled cheese, and tomato soup combo sounded delicious, but we were craving a twist on the classic.  A new twist we achieved!  Introducing....
Fajita Turkey Melt
Oh my goodness this was so good!  We both loved this sandwich! It is filled with flavor!  This is my new favorite go to grilled cheese sandwich.

Ingredients:(makes 2-4 servings) either 2 big whole sandwiches, or 4 halves.
  • 4 slices of bread.  You can use whatever bread you like, and I think any bread would be delicious.  We used this kind...
and it was good! I fell in love with this bread.
  • Pepper Jack cheese, sliced 1/8th inch thick.  Enough to cover two slices of bread, about 4 slices each.
  • 1/4 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
  • 1/4 green bell pepper, sliced thinly
  • Onion, three whole thin slices
  • butter and oil to coat pan for frying
  • dash or two of fajita seasoning(I used store bought individual package)
  • butter to spread thinly on bread
  • 6 slices turkey breast lunch meat

First slice the red and green bell peppers.  Add little dollop of butter, and oil to frying pan.  Toss in bell peppers, and cook on medium heat.
Slice up the onion, and add to the frying pan.

Cook peppers and onion until almost softened.  Add in a dash or two of fajita seasoning, stir, and remove from pan.  Butter one side of each slice of bread.


Slice cheese.  Lay bread, butter side down in frying pan, top with cheese, half of pepper and onion mixture, then 3 slices of turkey lunch meat.

We got ahead of ourselves and ALMOST for got the turkey, and didn't get a picture of it.  Don't be like us. :)

Top with bread slice, and cook until cheese is melted, and bread is browned on both sides.  Mine took about 7-10 minutes.  Serve on a plate, cut in half to watch all that yummy cheese ooze out.  Eat up, and enjoy!  I say 2-4 servings because these sandwiches are big and hearty, and I only ate half of mine, when my husband finished his.  I served up our sandwiches with my "Canned Tomato Soup Dressed Up" that I will share with you tomorrow! EASY and GOOD!


Question of the Day:



Do you enjoy the old fashioned grilled cheese, or do you add a little twist??

What is better than melted cheese??? Nothing! :) I LOVE me some cheese!

Have a wonderful evening everyone!! I'm glad to be back, again...but I'll grab my apron and stay awhile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!