Thursday, December 1, 2011

Brown Rice Pudding

I had my very first(and only, until now) Rice Pudding a LONG time ago from a Thai restaurant.  I didn't know what to think about "rice pudding??" I'll taste just about anything, okay there are probably quite a few things I wont taste, but you know what I mean. :)  This rice pudding was amazing, and I fell in love.  I knew one day I would eat it again.  This Brown Rice Pudding I made is a quick, simple and tasty breakfast/brunch dish.  It's made with LEFT OVER rice!!! We all usually have left over rice after we make it right? I always do, but I always plan on it, remember...salt, and butter on rice??(my FAV!)  This rice pudding is tasty, and a must try if you want a semi quick way to use left over rice!
Brown Rice Pudding




Prep Time: 3-5 minutes
Cook Time:  10 minutes
Bake Time:  30-45 minutes(depending on what milk you use)
Rest Time: 5 minutes
Servings:  4-6
Difficulty:  Easy

Brown Rice Pudding
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups Milk (I used Fat Free, but a thicker milk would work better, if you don't mind the little bit of extra fat :))
  • 1 cup left-over pre cooked Brown Rice
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/4 cup Sugar
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 tsp Cinnamon (or to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp Nutmeg (or to taste)
  • 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries (Craisens)



In a medium saucepan combine milk and rice.  Bring to a slow simmer.  You will want to stir frequently so it doesn't burn.  It will thicken slightly.


In a small bowl combine eggs, sugar, and vanilla.



Whisk together, then add cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Whisk, then add dried cranberries.






Add egg mixture to milk and rice.  Cook for just a few minutes until it thickens a little more.



Pour into a casserole dish and bake for 30-45 minutes.  Just check once in awhile to see how set it is, and remove when it is set in the center. 




Let it sit 5 minutes before serving.  Enjoy! Tasty breakfast treat!


The recipe I based mine off of, I found here.

Question of the Day:
Do you enjoy sweet or savory breakfasts more??

I tend to lean towards savory because I love my coffee in the morning, and it's already sweet enough ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!