Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie with Homemade Crust

Hello readers!  I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas Holiday.  I hope it was spent with as many loved ones as possible.  Now that most of the excitement around Christmas is over, we prepare for the New Year.  We are big kids at heart, and we always have an annual New Years Eve sledding party.  It is SO much fun, and everyone seems to love it, they plan on it before we even plan it ourselves every year.  It's great, and we can't wait.  We just hope there is snow on the ground, and by the looks of it so far, we may not, but we always have fun no matter what. 
Since we are SUPPOSED to have snow by this time of the year, I wanted to make(in my eyes) one of the biggest comfort foods, and that being Chicken Pot Pie.  Truth is, I have never made Chicken Pot Pie, and I can't believe it myself.  Growing up I didn't really like the stuff, so I sort of stayed away from it.  Why wouldn't I like it, is what I recently asked myself?? What is there NOT to like really?? That is why I made it.   I cannot NOT make this and try it when I haven't eaten it for years, and still think I don't like it, no way.  I made it.  I ate it.  Every bite.  Every lick of the spoon.  What does that say...I like Chicken Pot Pie.  Go figure.  :)  You will too.

This crust is amazingly flaky! LOVE!


Total Time:(I didn't time the prep or cook) about 1½ hours(about 2 hours total to make this dish)
Bake Time: 25-35 minutes
Rest Time: 35 minutes or more depending on how long you let the dough chill
Servings: About 6
Difficulty: Intermediate

Chicken Pot Pie with Homemade Crust
Ingredients:
For the Crust:
  • 1 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • ½ cup(1 stick) unsalted Butter, chilled, and cut into ½-inch cubes(I took my butter out of the refrigerator, let it come close to room temp, then placed it in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill.
  • ¼ cup Vegetable Shortening, chilled
  • 3 to 4 Tbls Ice Water, separated
Ingredients
For the Filling:
  • 3 Chicken Breasts(3 cups, cooked, and shredded)
  • 1 cup sliced Carrots(I used baby carrots)
  • 1 cup chopped Onion
  • ¾ cup Frozen Corn
  • ¾ cup Frozen Peas
  • 3 Tbls Butter
  • ¼ tsp Dried Thyme
  • ¼ tsp Dried Oregano
  • ½-1 tsp Salt(or to taste)
  • ¼-½ tsp Pepper(to taste)
  • ¼ tsp Celery Salt(We don't like celery, so I used a little of this instead of celery stalk)
  • 2 Tbsp chopped Fresh Parsley
  • 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
  • 2 cups Chicken Broth



Preparation:
Note: you can cook the chicken and shred it the day before to cut down on time.  Also the crust will be fine in the fridge overnight, if you want to make that ahead of time also!

Boil chicken in a large pot of water.  Cook until done.  Shred.

Meanwhile prepare crust as follows:
Note: You will see by my pictures that this recipe doesn't quite make enough crust for a top and bottom pie crust to fit a 9.5-inch pie plate(that is if you want it to look pretty :)) If you want to save calories and fat, this recipe is perfect, and you can definitely make do with it.  If you want a good amount of crust, I would double this recipe.  I liked it without, but it would be awesome doubled too.

Prepare in your food processor to make things easy.  Or you can do this all by hand. 
Combine flour, salt, and chilled butter cubes in food processor.  Pulse until butter has mixed with the flour, but you can still see little balls(only have to pulse 5 times or so)
I pulsed a little too much, but it came out perfect, so don't worry if you do too.



Add the chilled vegetable shortening and pulse until it comes together in little balls again.



Slowly add in the water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until it comes together in larger balls, and it sticks together when you squish it between your fingers.


Flour a flat surface area.  Dump the dough crumbles out on the flour, and squish together to form a ball.  Flatten out into a round disc.  Lightly flour each side, and cover with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for at least ½ hour, or more(or overnight)



In the meantime while the dough is chilling:
Prepare the Filling:
In a large saucepan add sliced carrots, chopped onion, frozen corn, frozen peas, and butter.  Cook on medium heat. 
Add in dried thyme, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and celery salt. 
Add in the chopped fresh parsley.  Cook until onions are translucent(about 10 minutes or less)




Add in Flour and stir together cooking for a minute. 


Add the chicken broth.  Stir and let cook for a few minutes to thicken.  If you want it thicker you can add some cornstarch, or flour with a little more chicken broth.  It will thicken more as it cooks too.


Add the shredded chicken, and simmer while you finish the crust.


Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and take the plastic wrap off. 
Break it in half, and roll one half in a ball. 
Place on a heavily floured surface(mine stuck to the counter, so add more than you think, and keep adding flour so it doesn't stick.
Roll out in the best round shape you can(I'm sure you will do better than I did:)) Make sure it will fit in the bottom of the pan, and up the sides. Trim the sides if you have excess.
It will be thin, unless you have doubled the recipe.


Pour the filling into the prepared pie dish with the bottom crust.


Roll out the second half of the dough to fit on top and cover the filling.  It wont be as wide across as the one on the bottom.  Lay the dough across the top, and pinch the bottom and top dough together.  You can use a fork to press down the edges.
Cut little slits in the dough, to release air while it is cooking.


If you would like you can make an egg wash to brush over the top.  Mix one egg with a tablespoon of water. 
Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until crust has browned, and the filling is bubbly. 
Let rest for at least 5 minutes before eating.
Dish up and enjoy! I sure did!




I used this recipe for the crust on Simply Recipes
Other than that, I threw this recipe together myself!
I WILL make this again!
By the way most recipes seem to have milk in the filling.  If you want it more creamy by all means add in milk.  It would be delicious too.  I just sort of forgot, and it turned out perfect anyways.  My Husband LOVED this.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!