Friday, December 23, 2011

Classic Risotto

I have heard that Risotto is hard to cook.  I wouldn't really know that because I made it for the first time a few days ago, and it turned out great!  I believe this recipe I found is very simple, and basic, and it's hard for anything to go wrong.  My husband and I really enjoyed this Risotto.  It almost doesn't sound all that appetizing(to be honest) because it doesn't have much to it, but it turns out great, with a nice subtle flavor, and it's creamy, you can't pass that up!  I am very excited I tried this recipe because having heard so much that Risotto is hard, this at least got me in the door, and I am excited to try more exciting Risotto.  You should really try this recipe though! If you want a simple, quick, but delicious Risotto, definitely try this, or if it's your first time making it, like me! 

A little note that was with this recipe I wanted to share:
Here is the most classic of all Risottos!  It's called Risotto Alla Milanese and is authentically made with saffron and veal marrow.  This version is made with all the basic ingredients-no marrow or saffron.  Since you probably have the ingredients on-hand, stir up a batch anytime the mood strikes.



Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4
Difficulty: Easy-Medium


Classic Risotto
Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbls Butter or Margarine
  • 2 Tbls Olive Oil
  • 1 Small Onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbls chopped, Fresh Parsley(or more :))
  • 1 cup uncooked White Long Grain Rice(I didn't have Arborio Rice)
  • ½ cup Chicken Broth(I didn't have dry white wine on hand)
  • 3 cups Chicken Broth, divided
  • ½ cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
  • ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper



Preparation:
In a large saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium high heat, until butter is melted.

Cook onion and parsley in oil mixture about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until onion is tender.


Stir in Rice.  Cook stirring occasionally until edges of rice are translucent.  Stir in the ½ cup chicken broth(or white wine) 




Reduce heat to medium.  Stir in 1 cup of the broth.  Cook uncovered about 5 minutes( I set my kitchen timer, and it took exactly 5 minutes for the broth to be absorbed by the rice) stirring frequently until broth is absorbed.  Repeat this process by adding another cup of broth, and stirring until it has absorbed. Add the last cup of chicken broth, and cook about 8 minutes, until rice is just tender, and mixture is creamy.

Stir in cheese and pepper.
I didn't have a full ½ cup, and it turned out great.

Serve up, and chow! Delish!



By the way.....Christmas is day after tomorrow!! What??!! Ah! Are you all ready for it??  I finally finished my shopping yesterday...holy moly I cut it close, but a couple unexpected gifts had to be bought, and luckily I got it covered yesterday. Whew! 
I also need some help with a Christmas brunch.  I am trying to plan a few dishes to make but I am having a lot of trouble coming up with anything.  I have a couple picky eaters to please, plus one person(my husband) can't eat eggs! What sort of savory brunch idea do you have??? Please help me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!