Friday, December 9, 2011

Gingersnap Cookies

Have you ever been to or held a cookie exchange?  I held one last year, and it was SO much fun!  I have been too busy this year to carry on the new tradition, but there is always next year!  One of the lovely ladies that brought cookies last year shared these amazing Gingersnaps with us.  Gingersnaps are such an easy cookie to make, and are always a huge hit during the Holidays.  I clung to this recipe because these cookies stay soft for the most part! A total plus in my book! I love chewy cookies rather than hard crispy ones(besides Oreos-amazing cookies ;))  These cookies did not last long whatsoever in my house.  My Hubby adores Gingersnaps so he enjoyed helping me make these, and taste testing the little "runt" cookies that ended up a wee bit too small(oops;))  I have a new love for Molasses, it's thick, sweet, and wonderful.  Yum.  You should make these cookies, everyone will love them :)
Ginger Snap Cookies
I ate one of these right after I took the picture, it was a goner. :)



Prep Time:  Total is about  20-30 minutes
Chilling Time:  1½-2 hours
Servings:  Makes about 5 dozen
Difficulty:  Easy

Gingersnap Cookies
Ingredients:
  • ¾ cup Shortening
  • ¼ cup Molasses
  • 1 cup Granulated Sugar, plus ½ cup more
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 2 tsp. Baking Soda
  • ½ tsp. Salt
  • ½ tsp. Ground Cloves
  • 1 tsp. Cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp. Ground Ginger



Melt Shortening in the microwave until almost completely melted.  Stir to melt the rest.  Cool for a few minutes.  Pour into a large mixing bowl.
Add sugar, egg, and molasses.  Beat ingredients until well combined.



You are better off using a hand or stand mixer because the ingredients get really thick.  I switched when my arm was about to fall off. :)


In a medium sized bowl stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger.



Slowly add flour mixture into the wet ingredients.  Mix until well combined.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1½-2 hours.


After the dough has chilled
Pre heat oven to 350º
Place ½ cup sugar on a plate or shallow bowl.   Roll dough into 1-inch balls(or smaller like I did).  Then roll each ball in the sugar until completely covered.  Place on an ungreased baking sheet about 2-inches apart.  Do not flatten.  Bake for 8 minutes.




  Let cool on baking sheet for a couple minutes before moving cookies to a wire rack to cool.  Enjoy!!
These are perfect for a cookie exchange! Thanks Tara!


Question of the Day:

What is a favorite recipe you have received from a friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!