Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup

Yesterday I had a real craving for some sort of broccoli cheese soup, and I needed to have it ASAP. :)  I have only made it once in my life, but have eaten it from restaurants.  I looked all over the Internet to get a basic idea on how to do it.  It seemed simple enough, so off to the grocery store I went, and picked up a couple things I needed.  I whipped out my own version, and boy was it tasty!!! It is so good and creamy without using processed cheese, or half and half.  Which means it is better for you, and not as fattening.  If you like broccoli cheese soup, you really have to try this! This is for sure my new favorite!
Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup
Oh my this is GOOD!



Prep Time: about 15 minutes
Cook Time: about 45 minutes
Servings: 8-10
Difficulty: Easy
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 2 tbls butter
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced(I used four smaller ones)
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 5 cups potatoes, peeled, and cubed(I used 6 small-medium sized Idaho Potatoes)
  • 1 chicken bouillon cube
  • 1 (16oz) bag frozen chopped broccoli(you can use whatever size broccoli you find in the store.  You can chop the broccoli into smaller pieces, but the bag of chopped broccoli worked perfect!)
  • 2 cups Sharp cheddar cheese(grated)

Let your frozen broccoli thaw on the counter.  First thing I did was peel and cube the potatoes.

Cut up 1 cup of onion.

In a large pot, add the butter and onion, and saute on medium heat.

Peel and mince garlic cloves.

When onions have cooked down for a few minutes, add in garlic, and saute only about 2 minutes, to bring out the flavor.

Add in the chicken broth, and chicken bouillon cube.


Add the potatoes, and bring to a boil.  Cook until they are almost soft.

In the last few minutes of the potatoes softening, add in the chopped broccoli. When soup comes to a boil again, cook for just a couple minutes. 


Turn off heat.  I used my immersion blender, and only pulsed it about 10 times, to leave a little bit of chunks.  If you don't have an immersion blender, you can take half of the soup out and blend it in a blender, then return to the pot.  This really thickened up the soup. YUM!

Add in the grated cheese.  Stir to combine.  It will melt instantly.

Ready to eat!

I may have to go back for more after writing this post!

Seriously you should make this, it is THAT good!

Check back tomorrow for some homemade rolls to go with this delicious soup!

Question of the Day:


What is your favorite creamy soup for those cold rainy days??


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!