Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Turkey Meatballs in Cream Sauce

Good morning!  I have a confession...I don't like meatloaf...:( Well I should say I have only eaten it a few times, and made my decision based on that.  I think it's the way it is usually smothered in ketchup??  I like ketchup but only a little bit, once in awhile.  My husband shares the same dislike as me, so thankfully I haven't been forced to make it, BUT I really want to try making it my own way, to give it one last shot.  If you have any amazing meatloaf recipes that aren't smothered in ketchup, and you think I would like, please let me know! :)  For some reason I got a hankering for meatballs the other day, don't ask me why, because I have NEVER made them before(crazy I know!) and have only eaten them maybe twice in my life.  I have always known the base ingredients, so I just went for it.  They turned out AMAZING, and full of flavor! My husband agrees that they were awesome.  I always feel good when I make something for the first time, and hear from my hubby that he loves it.  Makes me feel good.  Makes everyone feel good when their hard work pays off. :)  This recipe can be altered so much to fit every ones taste buds.  I realized that there are so many different spices you could add, and cheeses...I definitely didn't leave out the cheese! I'm a cheese freak! ;)  These meatballs were so simple to make, and the easy cream sauce went perfectly with them! I served them over whole grain noodles.  Enjoy!
Turkey Meatballs in Cream Sauce
Delish!



Prep Time: about 15 minutes
Cook Time: about 35 minutes
Servings: makes 18(1 1/2") meatballs
Difficulty: Easy

Meatball Ingredients:
  • 1 LB ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs(I used Italian herb blend)
  • 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • a couple drizzles of olive oil for frying
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded( I used the pre shredded)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper(this gave them a nice spice.  Adjust to your liking.)
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt

Cream Sauce Ingredients:
  • 1 cup, plus 1/2 cup chicken broth, I used 98% fat free
  • 2 Tbls cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup light sour cream
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt


Drizzle a little olive oil in a saucepan for browning the onion and garlic.  Dice up the onion, and cook for a few minutes on medium heat.  Add in garlic, and cook for only a couple more minutes.

Turn off heat, and let cool while you make the meatballs.
In a medium mixing bowl combine ground turkey, bread crumbs, parmesan, egg, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, garlic powderblack pepper, and salt.

Add in onion and garlic.

Now the fun part! Get in there with your hand, and mash it all together!


Roll into 1"-1 1/2" balls.  Sprinkle a tiny bit more olive oil in the same saucepan.  Turn on medium heat, and lay meatballs in the pan.  They shouldn't be touching.


Gently roll them around the pan until browned on all sides.  Take them out of the pan while you make the sauce.

To the pan, add the 1 cup chicken broth, and warm it up.  In the meantime mix the 1/2 cup chicken broth with the cornstarch.  Add to the warmed chicken broth in the pan, whisking as you pour. 

Add in the 1/2 cup of sour cream.  Whisk together.  Sauce will start to thicken. 

Place the meatballs into the sauce, and slowly simmer until meatballs are cooked through.  About 25 minutes.  You have to stir occasionally, and roll meatballs around in sauce.

Cook up some noodles, or rice, and serve meatballs and cream sauce on top.  YUM!

This definitely wont be my last time making these!  SO GOOD! Make these and let me know what you think! :)

Question of the Day:

If you make meatballs, do you cook them in a sauce? If so, what kind of sauce do you like??

Have a great day everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!