Friday, October 28, 2011

Eggnog French Toast with Eggnog Syrup

So, I know I am a tad bit early to post any eggnog recipes, but seriously when that stuff hits the grocery store, I snatch some up!  I LOVE eggnog.  My Mom used to make it homemade, and I didn't care for it because of the raw eggs in it.  It just grossed me out.  I can't get enough of the store bought kind though.  Any other eggnog lovers out there besides me?  Maybe I should find a homemade recipe, if there are any that would suit me better?  I know it really isn't healthy at all, but it tastes so good!  I bought the "light" which has 50% less fat, and 30% less calories, which helps, and I can't tell a difference in taste.  A win win situation.  This is my first recipe using eggnog, and I have to say it turned out So stinkin good!  If you love eggnog I don't doubt you will love this!  I have seen recipes around the blog world for Eggnog French Toast, and have wanted to make some of my own, so I did, and the results....eggnog coma(in a good way) I can't get enough of it.  This Eggnog French Toast(made with whole wheat bread) has a nice subtle eggnog flavor, it is not over powering, which means pile on the Eggnog Syrup!  If you make your French Toast with French Bread, you may notice more of an eggnog flavor in the bread, it is up to you, but I definitely think you should try the Eggnog Syrup, it is TOTALLY worth it! :)


Prep Time: about 5 minutes
Cook Time: Total of about 20 minutes
Servings: This makes about 7-8 pieces of french toast
Difficulty: Easy
Eggnog French Toast
Ingredients:
  • 7-8 slices of Whole Wheat Bread
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 cup Light Eggnog
  • 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Eggnog Syrup
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup Butter
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 3/8 (roughly a 1/3 cup) Light Eggnog

Add all ingredients for the french toast in a deep dish. 
Whisk together.

 I'm kinda assuming everyone knows how to make french toast, but just in case...Lay 1 slice of bread in the egg mix at a time. Let it sit just just a moment to soak up some of that goodness.

Flip over, and do the same thing.  Spray a skillet with cooking spray, and lay the french toast in the pan, trying to save room for more slices.  Cook on medium-medium high heat.  Fit as many as you can get in a pan.  Or a nice big flat griddle works well because you can cook them all at once. 

In the meantime, while the french toast is cooking.  In a small pot melt the butter for the eggnog syrup, over medium heat.  Add in sugar, and stir until sugar has combined.  Add in the eggnog, and turn to medium high heat.  Bring to a boil, stirring quite a bit.  When it comes to a boil, turn off heat, and serve over the warm french toast.  Simple!  The Eggnog Syrup is good and buttery, so that is all you need on this french toast!


Enjoy!! I sure did, and already had leftovers for breakfast this morning!
I found this delicious Eggnog Syrup recipe from  Real Mom Kitchen
Question of the Day:

What do you like on your french toast?

This french toast is perfect just the way it is.
With plain french toast, I usually have peanut butter and syrup. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!