Saturday, October 29, 2011

Brownie Grave sites

Halloween is just a couple days away!  I can't wait to see all the cute little kids dressed up.  We are keeping it low key this Halloween, so I HAD to make something to get us in the spirit!  These Brownie Grave sites are SO CUTE, delicious, and fun to make! Everyone loves them!  Who doesn't love a good brownie with frosting on top, and other yummy candies?!  They have already been a hit at my house, and since we aren't having a Halloween party, I'll be taking these to share with family and friends.  These are easy to make, but there are some things to do differently if you decide to make them, which I will note as we go.  It will make your life a lot easier.  These are something to be proud of, well at least for me! :)  I have never made a fun little Halloween dessert like this, and I know now that it wont be my last.  It was too fun.  If you plan to whip these up within the next day or two, enjoy, and let me know how they turn out!
Brownie Grave sites
So cute right?!

Prep Time and Assembly:  Total about 45-60 minutes, plus cooling time
Bake Time:  Follow instructions on your brownie box
Servings:  6-12 depending on what size pan you use
Difficulty:  Easy/Medium


Brownie Grave sites
Ingredients:
  • 1 box Betty Crocker Brownie mix WITH frosting(this makes it easy, unless you buy regular brownie mix, and a little tub of frosting, up to you) and all ingredients to make the brownies, following the directions on the box
  • Milano Cookies, cut in half, 1/2 of each cookie per brownie-my 9"x13" pan made 12 large brownies, so 6 Milano cookies(head stone)
  • 5 Oreo Cookies, crumbled into very small pieces(like dirt)
  • 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips(I used white, but would have preferred chocolate)
  • Pumpkin Candy Corns, and Regular Candy Corns, 1 piece each, for each brownie(1 needed 12 each)
Before I start with directions I want to explain a couple things.  These really are pretty simple, don't let my mumble jumble instructions fool you. :)  I'm still learning. :) 
You can prepare your brownies in whatever size pan you want.  From 8"x8" - 9"x13" I wouldn't go any larger than that.  The 9"x13" brownies are stretched thin as you can see in my picture, but I wanted a thin brownie(makes more grave sites in one batch)  I would suggest going with a smaller pan, and making a couple batches of brownies.  They will be easier to frost, and cut, being thicker. Take note that you have to cut these brownies larger than you would with normal brownies.  They need to be wide enough to fit a Milano cookie across the end, plus a candy corn on each side of it.  Take my advice, it was hard cutting these brownies from a 9"x13" pan(and trying to make them look good at the same time.)  I cut my brownies in rectangle shape(like a grave site) but square would work too, it depends on the pan you use.  Alright I think about sums up the little details, let's get on with it. :)

Assemble your brownie batter, and bake following instructions on box.  Completely cool before frosting.  Spread frosting on brownies and set aside, while you prep everything else. 
Cut Milano cookies in half, using a sharp knife.
Crumble Oreo cookies into very small pieces.  I did mine on my cutting board with my knife.  You could also put the oreos in a tough plastic bag, and use your rolling pin. 

Slice brownies into desired sizes.

Melt the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave, in a microwave safe dish for a minute, stir, then do 30 second intervals until fully melted. Spoon melted chips into your piping bag, and use a very small round tip to pipe "RIP" on Milano cookies.

Place Milano cookie half, cut side down onto the end of each brownie.  Make sure it sticks in the frosting.

Using a regular size spoon, scoop up some crumbled Oreo cookie, and slowly dump it in the middle of the brownie.  Making sure it is close to the "head stone"(Milano Cookie) but be careful it doesn't cover the cookie.  You want the "dirt"(Oreo) to be sort of a mound.  Press down gently to secure most of crumbles into the frosting.  It is alright if the crumbles are a little loose on top(they will be)

Place one Pumpkin Candy Corn on one side of the head stone, and a Regular Candy Corn on the other.  You may need to put them slightly in front of the head stone, that is alright, you just want to be able to read "RIP"  You are done! The assembly really is quite a breeze, after you do the first one.  You will love these, and be proud like I was.  Everyone you share them with(if you don't eat them all yourself:)) with love them also.  Such a fun little project, and OH SO TASTY! Enjoy!


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Have a very fun and safe weekend!
By the way, the normal "On My Radar" Saturday post will continue next week!
 I found this very cute idea from the Picky Palate

Question of the Day:

Are you or your kids dressing up for Halloween? If so, what are you/they going to be?

I'm not dressing up this Halloween, yea, I'm being boring. BOO! :)  I can't wait to see my friend's kids all dressed up though!  Have fun, and eat lots of sweets! :)

2 comments:

  1. Sooooo Cute! I love this idea! And with a box mix? Can it get any easier? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicole! Yea they were really easy as long as the brownies don't stick to your knife as you cut them! Oh well though, I don't think people care if their brownie is messy.:) One day I'll venture away from the box mix...maybe ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!