Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Quick and Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal

This morning I was craving oatmeal, hot, and gooey oatmeal.  On cold mornings like this, my idea of breakfast is a hot bowl of oatmeal in a mug, curled up in a blanket with my coffee.  Mmmm.  I came up with an amazing mug of goodness this morning!  My husband came in the door from hunting all morning, and smelled the sweet pumpkin.  He was hungry, and made perfect timing.  I dished him up some of this, and he said in his own words..."MmmMmm!"  :) See I'm not the only one who utters that on a normal basis. :)  So introducing my new favorite Fall oatmeal!
Quick and Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal
 A little bowl of heaven.

Prep Time: Total about 5 minutes
Cook Time: about 5 minutes
Servings: 2
Difficulty: Super de duper easy!

Quick and Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Quick Oats
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1 cup Almond Milk(regular milk will work just fine.  I just had some on hand.)
  • 1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree(not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2 Tbls Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 1 tsp Ground Flax seed
  • 1 tsp Wheat Bran


In a small to medium size pot, add in oatmeal, and water.  Cook on medium heat for about a minute or two, or until thick and bubbly. 
This is where you can skip a big step if you want.  I transferred my oatmeal to a mixing bowl because I wasn't sure if it was going to fit in the little pot I was using.  If you are using a small-medium size pot, it should work just fine.  So instead of adding the following ingredients to a mixing bowl, just add them right into the oatmeal on the stove top.  When adding these ingredients, turn the heat down to low.
Add in the milk, and pumpkin.  Stir to combine.
Add in the brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, flax seed,(not pictured :( ) and wheat germ (not pictured :( )

Whisk together, to get well incorporated.  Cook on low a few minutes.  Serve up in your favorite, bowl, or mug! 
So easy, delicious, and nutritious! Enjoy!

Question of the Day:

What is your favorite oatmeal concoction?












2 comments:

  1. Mmmm! I like plain oatmeal with fresh (or frozen) blueberries, strawberries, and bananas! The berries give it a great taste without a bunch of extra calories. And sometimes a hint of brown sugar goes in too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! That is definitely a good combo! I also like sliced apples and peanut butter!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!